West Side Lumber Company.
The Westside Lumber Company railroad was a three-foot gauge line that ran east into the Sierra timber country from a mill at Tuolumne, California. It operated with Shays and Heislers, and was steam powered until it closed in 1961. Its last operating season was 1960. When the summer logging season ended in the Fall of 1960, the equipment was positioned in expection of another season starting in the Spring. Empty log cars were left in the woods, and the engines recieved normal winter maintenance. Then rather suddenly the company announced that it would be cheaper to use contract trucks to haul the logs. On June 6 and 7, 1961 two trains was run into the woods to haul cars closer to town, and the railroad was put on standby, to see how well the trucks worked. The West Side Lumber Company railroad never ran again. Unless otherwise indicated these pictures were taken on various visits during 1959 and 1960.